After making my Mellow Cardigan and finally mastering the buttonhole I thought I’d share a tutorial for making buttonholes in 2 x 2 rib. This method works really well and results in perfect holes for your pretty buttons!
- 1. After having picked up the stitches you need along your front opening edge, knit in 2 x 2 ribbing as normal until you reach the row where your buttonholes need to be, you want it to be a Right Side facing row in the middle of your band, e.g row 4 in a 7 row rib.
2. Knit in rib up until the stitch needed for the hole, this should be halfway through one of the purl sections. Your holes will need to be spaced evenly along the band.
3. Knit the next two stitches together, it should be one purl stitch and one knit stitch.
3. Put the yarn around the needle to make up the extra stitch you’ve lost. Repeat this at every buttonhole space on the band in this row.
3. Continue to knit as standard in rib for further rows then cast off in rib.
Then it’s time to pick pretty buttons!
How do you make buttonholes in your knitting? Tell me you tips and tricks!