I made this before Christmas in one mad day of sewing, but we have been so snowed under that I’ve only just got around to photographing it. The Maeva Chemise was my first Republique Du Chiffon pattern and I love the style! I’m going to do a full review of this one as I had some serious ups and downs while working my way through it – maybe because I don’t speak a word of French?? But I got there in the end with a little google translate help.
I fell at the first hurdle with this one – I DID NOT ADD SEAM ALLOWANCES (which aren’t included in any RDC patterns, take note). I obviously wasn’t going to waste my little bits of House of Hackney silk so I sewed it up with a tiny seam allowance to compensate. This is why it is probably a tiny bit snug. My only other shirt experience came from my first Grainline Archer (will share that soon!) so I had those wonderful instructions to help me along, I used some of Jen’s Archer Sew-along posts too for the tricky bits that I couldn’t work out. Also worth noting is that I couldn’t get the PDF to line up when taping them together. I’ve seen this feedback on lots of other blogs and they just don’t seem to fit. I had to just draw on the line myself, easing the fit.
I love the style of this shirt. It has a tiny little collar and little flared bottom. The cropped style is perfect for anything high-waisted and, although it kind of hangs off the bust (definitely not cut with any breasts in mind), I like the way it sits. I’m planning more of these but most likely without the flared bit at the bottom, so I plan to just elongate the pattern a bit more.
I think next time I’ll also change the construction a bit. The instructions tell you to sew the front and back together first, followed by the gathered flare – so the side seams we already sewn up when it came to setting the sleeve. When I make more of these I’ll definitely sewn my sleeve on first and then straight down the side, which is so much easier and the difference for me is not worth the extra work with simple makes like this.
I got a little bit eager with my button stitching and somehow managed to make none of them line up quite right. Maybe one day I’ll cut them off and sew them on right… maybe.
You may recognise this print from this skirt I made and R has made a bomber in this silk too, so expect to see that soon. This House of Hackney silk is likely to make many many appearances as we bought a roll of it from a sample sale – I think we got 77m! Can not recommend their sample sales enough, such good value!
I really love a lot of RDC’s patterns. I’ve actually got the Roger Trench waiting to be sewn up, but I’m a little bit worried about tackling such a big coat project with my non existent French. We will see how that one goes.